Finding the perfect data center to store your company’s data and application can be a long-term process. Before choosing a service provider, you should think about the country where your data will be located.
When looking for a location in Europe, you have probably thought about the « obvious » choices, such as Frankfurt, London or Amsterdam. But perhaps you may not have thought about Luxembourg!
Luxembourg is mostly known for its position in the financial sector, as Luxembourg is the foremost private banking centre in the Eurozone and the second largest fund center in the world. Nevertheless the data center industry in Luxembourg is one of the largest in Europe and a really smart alternative to Frankfurt, Amsterdam and London.
So should you consider Luxembourg when looking for a data center in Europe? Here are 5 main reasons why we believe you should:
- a wide range of offers. Luxembourg is one of the smallest countries in Europe, yet it has the largest number of data centers per square kilometer. With 23 data centers and all Tier levels represented, you will almost certainly find the provider that suits your needs.
- the energy price. One of the key factors in the selection of a data center is the price of electricity. Luxembourg has the lowest data center energy price in Western Europe (around 0,06 € per kWh all taxes included). Nonetheless, Luxembourg offers the most reliable supply in the European Union (source Eurostat).
- the government’s ICT policy. The Luxembourgish government has made a point of helping and supporting the ICT sector and is really involved in it, with a very active and business friendly ICT policy. The « Digital Lëtzebuerg » initiative (Digital Luxembourg) aims to develop the Internet sector by setting up public and private efforts. Furthermore, plenty of other Luxembourgish institutions can help your business flourish, such as Luxinnovation, Chamber of Commerce, Luxembourg for Finance, …
- the geographical location. Located right in the center of Europe, Luxembourg is just a few hours flight away from all the main European cities: one hour from Paris, one hour from Frankfurt… Sharing borders with 3 different countries (France, Germany and Belgium), the workforce in Luxembourg typically speaks up to 4 languages: English, French, German and Luxembourgish.
This ideal position allows the country to have very low latencies with average round-trip times of around 5 milliseconds to the other major European Internet hubs such as London, Amsterdam, Frankfurt and Paris.
- LU-CIX, the Luxembourg Internet Exchange. The national Internet Exchange allows the Internet traffic to be faster and more reliable. Being connected to LU-CIX, you can reach a huge number of local and international networks. In addition, with its solution “Central European Peering Hub”, you can easily access DE-CIX (Frankfurt), AMS-IX (Amsterdam), LINX (London),...
If you want to have a look at what Luxembourg’s data center service providers have to offer, check out our providers page!
Need help solving a data centers related problem?
Well, that's what we do!
Leave us your email and we will contact you to explore the solutions and put you in touch with the right professionals for your needs.